Friday, January 8, 2010

Why I <3 my dad

If someone were to ask me who my hero is, it would be my dad. I think a lot of my personality comes from him--mainly his exuberance for life, optimism, and love of food and drink.

A 10 minute heart to heart with him just made months and months of confusion and frustration so clear. I've been struggling with patience since I've graduated--rushing things and having unrealistic expectations of where I should be professionally. But I've known this all along. And everyone around me was too nice to tell me what I already knew. I tried to desperately jump from level 1 to 50 at 22 years old. When really, i have to go through steps 2-49 first. My dad said i'd break my back if i keep looking to 50 and not realizing 2-49 first.

I realized that most of this impatience came from things like wanting people to respect me, wanting to do big things with my life, wanting to be financially independent. My dad used another analogy of the freeway system. He said that I keep beating myself over the head, wondering why the 5 doesnt connect to the 101. So I get off the road, go to a liquor store, have a beer and realize I need to take the 60 to get the 101 from the 5. Eureka! Probably the best piece of advice I've ever heard in my life.

Thanks popz.

SO with that said, the next six months are set. Of the three things I'm juggling with right now, one is going to get cut. And I won't regret any of it. The other two--shit.l be lucky I chose you! Mama's going to make you famous!

No comments: